Apply for VO Membership
|Start Computing on BeSTGRID|
|Using or Joining BeSTGRID||1. Obtain a Grid Certificate||2. Join a Virtual Organisation||3. Proxy Certificates||4. Submitting jobs with Grisu|
A Virtual Organisation (VO), or in a more informally, a "group", is a collection of people with permission to access particular services.
By joining a group, and having your request accepted, you gain access to the services associated with that group. This is done through Grix.
The default BeSTGRID VO is the /ARCS/BeSTGRID group, it provides access to all the 'freely shared' resources provided by BeSTGRID. Other groups provide increased levels of access to specific resources for a specific project, team, or institution associated to those VOs. In the procedure below /ARCS/BeSTGRID will be used as an example, just subsitute a different VO to apply for membership.
 Joining a VO
Before you can apply for membership to a VO, you must have previously:
To Join a VO:
- Start the Grix application
- Select the Authentication tab
- Select the Local x509 tab in the Create/Retrieve proxy panel
- Enter your passphrase and click on Authenticate
- Select the VOs tab
- Select ARCS in the left panel
- If your VO was of the form /SUPER/SUB, you'd select SUPER)
- If your VO is missing, click on the Manage VOs button at the bottom left and drag and drop the VOs to activate them.
- Select the group you want to get membership for in the drop box at the bottom of the application
- Click on Apply
You should receive an email within 48hrs that your membership has been approved or rejected.